Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Being "creative"

Borrowed a book from Aisya, about last week. Read up till the second chapter (this includes introduction, acknowledgments, blah blah blah) ... and got jealous.

Jack Foster, author of "how to get ideas" writes in his first chapter that in order to get ideas, you must have fun. Yes, fun. That doesn't mean wearing jeans and T-shirts and sneakers to office everyday. I usually get the same reaction from everyone the first time they discover what I wore to work.

"You wore THAT to WORK?!"

Yup. Was fun for a bit. Until everyone's reaction was similar. Then it was a nice change to meet friends who already knew what I always wear to work and didn't give that reaction.

Anyway, my purpose in posting is that I got jealous while reading the ending of his first chapter. The things he (Jack Foster, Creative Director at some time in some agency) and his team or department used to do is kind of cool and fun, in my opinion. I'm not getting much fun here working. They'd have department meetings in a nearby park; they'd bring in baby pictures of themselves and gave a prize to the one who got the most right in guessing who was who; voting on the cutest baby; selling or exhibiting stuff they made at home; hallway hockey using real hockey sticks and a wad of paper ... sigh ...

The list goes on. I wish I could experience the fun. At least I won't feel so bloody demotivated to work. So bloody unappreciated. Gee, thanks for the pay cut! Gee, thanks for the OT cut! Gee, thanks for forcing me to work OT! Gee, thanks for shoving everything to me.

So considerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment